Bill Decker

Bill Decker

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

The Dallas County Court House at 505 Main Street was indeed a unique place to come to hear what was WRONG with John F. Kennedy and his policies as President of these United States.

This building housed the elite troops of the Dallas County Sheriff's Department (of which I was one), who, with blind obedience, followed the orders of their Great White Father: Bill Decker, Sheriff of Dallas County.

From these elite troops came the most bitter verbal attacks on President Kennedy. They spoke very strongly against his policies concerning the Bay of Pigs incident and the Cuban Missile crisis. They seemed to resent very much the fact that President Kennedy was a Catholic. I do not know why this was such a critical issue with many of the deputies but they did seem to hold this against President Kennedy.

The concession stand in the lobby of the court house was the best place to get into a discussion concerning the President. The old man who ran the stand evidenced a particular hatred for President Kennedy. He seemed to go out of his way to drag anyone who came by his stand into a discussion about the President. His name is J. C. Kiser.

He was a little man with a short mustache and glasses that he wore right on the end of his nose. He was a particularly good friend of Sheriff Decker, and he held the concession in the lobby for many years. Like Decker, he was unopposed when his lease came up for renewal. It was common knowledge that Bill Decker made it possible for him to remain there as long as he wished. This sick little man not only had a deep hatred for John F. Kennedy, he also hated the black people, even those who spent their money at his stand. He would often curse them as they walked away after making a purchase from him. He flatly refused to make telephone change for them even though he would be simultaneously making change for a white person.

Thus... we have the atmosphere that was to greet the President of the United States upon his arrival in Dallas. However, things were to get even worse before he arrived.

The battle ground had been picked and the unwelcome mat was out for President Kennedy. Unknown to most of us, the rest of the plan was being completed. The patsy had been chosen and placed in the building across from the court house - where he could not deny his presence after it was all over. This was done with the apparent approval and certainly with the knowledge of our co-workers, the F.B.I., since they later admitted that they knew Lee Harvey Oswald was employed at the School Book Depository Building located on the corner of Elm Street and Houston Street across from the Sheriff's Office.

The security had been arranged by the Secret Service and the Dallas Police - our boys in blue. The final touch was put on by Sheriff James Eric (Bill) Decker. On the morning of November 22, 1963 the patrolmen in the districts which make up the Dallas County Sheriff's Patrol Division were left in the field, ignorant of what was going on in the downtown area, which was just as well. Decker was not going to let them do anything anyway.

On July 17, 1970, I reported for work to find another man doing my job. I was told by this "replacement" that Jim wanted to see me. As I sat in Jim's office I knew what was coming. Jim said, "Roger, you've done a good job but it is time for a change." I asked him for an explanation but all he would say was that it was time for a change and he was sorry!

Bill Decker died in August. The County Commissioners appointed his executive assistant, Clarence Jones, to fill the job until November, when he had to run for election (with the backing of the Democratic Party). For the first time since Decker's reign, the Republicans nominated someone to oppose a Democrat for the office. The man was Jack Revel, former Chief of the Dallas Police Intelligence Division. This meant that the voters had the choice between two evils. Well, Clarence Jones was elected - his campaign signs and posters read, "Elect Clarence Jones - In the Tradition of Bill Decker"! It would be nice if Jack Revel would be upset enough over his loss of the election to make public some information--but this is very wishful thinking indeed.

Meanwhile, I am still out of a job (but still looking). I would like to think that the people of Dallas will change and rise up against the dishonest and irresponsible tyrants who govern in their name--but I do not see it happening in the near future. Dallas is my home but I will always feel like an outsider because I simply will not adjust to the idea that for Dallas, for Texas, for America this must serve as democracy.

Leon D. Hubert: Now, when did you make any efforts to take custody of Oswald?

Bill Decker: I can't tell you that as to when - the homicide occurred and the boy was taken in custody in the afternoon and that was on a Friday - I'm not going to tell you for certain because there was so much and on Friday afternoon we were taking statements in my office you know - this thing happened, occurred just across the street from my office and we moved all the witnesses when we were on the ground there at the scene, all the witnesses we could locate I was working there and I had Inspector Sawyer, who is there with me, and also Heitman of the FBI and my assistant chief deputy, and every witness, just as we picked up a witness that had any information at all, we sent him directly across the street to my office and reduced his statement to writing. Then, I talked to Fritz after he arrived. We had by then located the gun and the ammunition, my officers had located it in the building, and was awaiting the arrival of the scene searchers and also the arrival of my scene searchers and Fritz arrived and then I talked to Fritz and then we went across the street and he phoned and that's when I learned Oswald had been formerly employed there at that building. And, Fritz went to the city - now, here's something I'm uncertain about - whether I talked to him that afternoon or the next day about this removal, I cannot tell you because there was so much happening and so much press in our hair, I couldn't say, but I did discuss with him and advise with that I wished to be notified when he started to move this boy, so that I would have my security in shape to receive him when he arrived there.

Leon D. Hubert: You think that was no later than Saturday, the 23d?

Bill Decker: Oh, no; it wasn't. I don't think it was any later than that - no.

Leon D. Hubert: In other words, as I understood you, you couldn't tell whether it was on Friday or Saturday, but it could not have been Sunday?

Bill Decker: No; it wasn't Sunday. I remember there were different conversations on Sunday, different conversations on Saturday and different conversations on Saturday night.

Leon D. Hubert: Well, now, perhaps if you can, you can tell us about these various conversations, if you remember them - who they were with and about what time?

Bill Decker: Well, on Saturday, the homicide, I believe, if I'm correct - now, the date of the homicide of Oswald was what?

Leon D. Hubert: It was Sunday the 24th.

Bill Decker: The 24th - Sunday. Friday, after we had completed our investigation and gotten our files together to some extent, we then closed shop, shall we say, and went back into our routine work, and on Saturday arrival at our office we then again, I'm reasonably sure that was the day, we talked about moving Oswald but I just don't remember. That's one of those- 'things you just don't remember the date.

Leon D. Hubert: But you talked to Fritz?

Bill Decker: That's when I talked to Fritz.

Leon D. Hubert: What did Fritz tell you, do you know?

Bill Decker: He said he would notify me when he was ready to move.

Leon D. Hubert: He wasn't ready at that time?

Bill Decker: He wasn't ready at that time, witnesses were being brought in, he was still interviewing witnesses. Now, then, later that afternoon the rumor was out that they were going to bring him down - of course, we had rumors, rumors, rumors all the day, because we had worldwide press and they were in the city hall, you couldn't get in the city hall for them and they were running back and forth down to our pressroom, and this word was here that they were coming, so late that afternoon, on Saturday, Jim Kerr was the first man that brought me the date of the 10 o'clock transfer Sunday morning. Jim Kerr is associated with channel 5, and there were several of the pressmen in my office and members of my staff and we were discussing it and later in the evening, later about 9 o'clock it was getting on to be, and he notified us they were going to move in and I think I then confirmed that with someone in the city and they said yes - the next morning at 10 o'clock and then I went to my home...

Leon D. Hubert: Have you been given any warning by the FBI that they had received a message, or had the message been received, I think, by your office, that some attempt would be made by a group to injure Oswald?

Bill Decker: That's along 12:30 or 1 o'clock in the morning - that's when that occurred. That's when I got on the telephone, you see, sir--I'm sure that you don't understand this, but, you know, but no man - it makes no difference how long he is an officer, ever imagined that he could work on an investigation the size of this one and therefore, of course, you realize that my officers and I'm sure some of the city officers, myself included, were working under just a little bit of pressure. Anyway, this thing you are talking about came to me from my office man, Sergeant McCoy, and he had received a call from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Milt Newsom, who stated to him that this boy was going to be killed and that he had good information. He relayed that message to me at my home, and I asked him had the city been notified and he said, "Yes."

As I finished talking with the Agent I was confronted by the High Priest of Dallas County Politics, Field Marshal Bill Decker... He called me aside and informed me that the suspect had already left the scene. (How did you know? You had just arrived.) Decker then told me to help them (the police) search the Book Depository Building. Decker turned toward his office across the street, then suddenly stopped, looked at me and said "Somebody better take charge of this investigation." Then he continued walking slowly toward his office, indicating that it was not going to be him.

When I entered the Book Depository Building I was joined by Deputy Sheriffs Eugene Boone and Luke Mooney. We went up the stairs directly to the sixth floor. The room was very dark and a thick layer of dust seemed to cover everything. We went to the south side of the building, since this was the street side and seemed the most logical place to start.

Luke Mooney and I reached the southeast corner at the same time. We immediately found three rifle cartridges laying in such a way that they looked as though they had been carefully and deliberately placed there - in plain sight on the floor to the right of the southeast corner window. Mooney and I examined the cartridges very carefully and remarked how close together they were. The three of them were no more than one inch apart and all were facing in the same direction, a feat very difficult to achieve with a bolt action rifle - or any rifle for that matter. One cartridge drew our particular attention. It was crimped on the end which would have held the slug. It had not been stepped on but merely crimped over on one small portion of the rim. The rest of that end was perfectly round.

Laying on the floor to the left of the same window was a small brown paper lunch bag containing some well cleaned chicken bones. I called across the room and summoned the Dallas Police I.D. man, Lt. Day. When he arrived with his camera Mooney and I left the window and started our search of the rest of the sixth floor.

We were told by Dallas Police to look for a rifle - something I had already concluded might be there since the cartridges found were, apparently, from a rifle. I was nearing the northwest corner of the sixth floor when Deputy Eugene Boone called out, "here it is." I was about eight feet from Boone, who was standing next to a stack of cardboard boxes. The boxes were stacked so that there was no opening between them except at the top. Looking over the top and down the opening I saw a rifle with a telescopic sight laying on the floor with the bolt facing upward. At this time Boone and I were joined by Lt. Day of the Dallas Police Department and Dallas Homicide Captain, Will Fritz. The rifle was retrieved by Lt. Day, who activated the bolt, ejecting one live round of ammunition which fell to the floor.

Lt. Day inspected the rifle briefly, then handed it to Capt. Fritz who had a puzzled look on his face. Seymour Weitzman, a deputy constable, was standing beside me at the time. Weitzman was an expert on weapons. He had been in the sporting goods business for many years and was familiar with all domestic and foreign weapons. Capt. Fritz asked if anyone knew what kind of rifle it was. Weitzman asked to see it. After a close examination (much longer than Fritz or Day's examination) Weitzman declared that it was a 7.65 German Mauser. Fritz agreed with him. Apparently, someone at the Dallas Police Department also loses things but, at least, they are more conscientious. They did replace it - even if the replacement was made in a different country.

At that exact moment an unknown Dallas police officer came running up the stairs and advised Capt. Fritz that a Dallas policeman had been shot in the Oak Cliff area. I instinctively looked at my watch. The time was 1:06 p.m. A token force of uniformed officers was left to keep the sixth floor secure and Fritz, Day, Boone, Mooney, Weitzman and I left the building.

On my way back to the Sheriff's Office I was nearly run down several times by Dallas Police cars racing to the scene of the shooting of a fellow officer. There were more police units at the J. D. Tippit shooting than there were at President John F. Kennedy's assassination.

Tippit had been instructed to patrol the Oak Cliff area along with Dallas Police Unit 87 at 12:45 p.m. by the dispatcher. Unit 87 immediately left Oak Cliff and went to the triple underpass, leaving Tippit alone. Why? At 12:54 p.m., J. Tippit, Dallas Police Unit 78, gave his location as Lancaster Blvd., and Eighth St., some ten blocks from the place where he was to be killed. The Dallas dispatcher called Tippit at 1:04 p.m. and received no answer. He continued to call three times and there was still no reply. Comparing this time with the time I received news of the shooting of the police officer at 1:06 p.m., it is fair to assume Tippit was dead or being killed between 1:04 and 1:06 p.m. This is also corroborated by the eye witnesses at the Tippit killing, who said he was shot between 1:05 and 1:08 p.m.

According to Officer Baker, Dallas Police, he talked to Oswald at 12:35 p.m. in the lunch room of the Texas School Book Depository. This would give Oswald 30 minutes or less to finish his coke, leave the building, walk four blocks east on Elm Street, catch a bus and ride it back west in heavy traffic for two blocks, get off the bus and walk two more blocks west and turn south on Lamar Street, walk four blocks and have a conversation with a cab driver and a woman over the use of Whaley's (the cab driver) cab, get into the cab and ride to 500 North Beckley Street, get out and walk to 1026 North Beckley where his (Oswald's) room was located, pick up something (?); and if that is not enough, Earlene Roberts, the housekeeper where Oswald lived, testified that at 1:05 p.m. Oswald was waiting for a bus in front of his rooming house and finally, to make him the fastest man on Earth, he walked to East Tenth Street and Patton Street, several blocks away and killed J. Tippit between 1:05 and 1:08 p.m. If he had not been arrested when he was, it is my belief that Earl Warren and his Commission would have had Lee Harvey Oswald eating dinner in Havana!

I was convinced on November 22, 1963, and I am still sure, that the man entering the Rambler station wagon was Lee Harvey Oswald. After entering the Rambler, Oswald and his companion would only have had to drive six blocks west on Elm Street and they would have been on Beckley Avenue and a straight shot to Oswald's rooming house. The Warren Commission could not accept this even though it might have given Oswald time to kill Tippit for having two men involved would have made it a conspiracy!

As to Lee Harvey Oswald shooting J. Tippit, let us examine the evidence: Dallas Police Unit 221 (Summers-refer-police radio log) stated on the police radio that he had an "eye ball" witness to the shooting. The suspect was a white male about twenty-seven, five feet, eleven inches, black wavy hair, fair complexioned, (not Oswald) wearing an Eisenhower-type jacket of light color, dark trousers, and a white shirt, apparently armed with a .32 caliber, dark-finish automatic pistol which he had in his right hand. (The jacket strongly resembles that worn by the driver of the station wagon).

Dallas Police Unit 550 Car 2 was driven to the scene of the Tippit murder by Sgt. Gerald Hill. He was accompanied by Bud Owens, Dallas Police Department, and William F. Alexander, Assistant D.A. for Dallas. Unit 550 Car 2 reported over the police radio that the shells at the scene indicated that the suspect was armed with a .38 caliber automatic. 38 automatic shells and 38 revolver shells are distinctly different. (Oswald allegedly had a 38 revolver in his possession when arrested?)

After much confusion in the Oak Cliff area the Dallas Police were finally directed to the Texas Theater where the suspect was reported to be. Several squads arrived at the theater and quickly surrounded it. At the back door was none other than William F. Alexander, Assistant DA, and several Dallas Police officers with guns drawn. While Dallas Police Officer McDonald and others entered the theater and turned on the lights and the suspect was pointed out to them, they started searching people several rows in front of Oswald, giving him a chance to run if he wanted to - right into the blazing guns of waiting officers!

This man had to be stopped. He was the most dangerous criminal in the history of the world. Here was a man who was able to go from one location to another with the swiftness of Superman, to change his physical characteristics at will and who pumped four automatic slugs into a police officer with a revolver - indeed a master criminal.

Our Timeline

In 1843, Frederick Stanley started a small shop in New Britain, Connecticut, to manufacture bolts, hinges and other hardware. In 1910, Duncan Black and Alonzo Decker started their shop in Baltimore, Maryland, dedicated to manufacturing the world’s first portable power tool.

Today, Stanley Black & Decker is a leading diversified industrial, driven by a commitment to serve the builders, makers and protectors of the world.

Our 175 years of innovating, creating, and transforming are outlined below. See our formidable legacy.

He was – well, EVERYTHING!

Here’s the quick run-down: h e claims that he was a ‘witch’ (whatever his definition of that is) for some 16 years until he discovered that being a witch was evil. (He has created his own definitions whereby paganism is the same as witchcraft. )

He was a Mormon for some 5 years until he discovered their supposed evils. And he was a Mason (for 8-9 years) until he discovered that Freemasonry (he now claims) was evil as well.

Every few years, Bill seems to discover another ‘evil’ and, yes, he’ll create a history showing how he’s been involved with that and will soon have a book for sale telling you all about it while going ‘on the stump’ with speaking engagements. Yes, Bill is nothing if not dexterous with his beliefs and slow to find yet another ‘truth’ (or lucrative opportunity….).

Oh, and he claims that he’s an ordained minister – although (and curious for someone who ostensibly knows things are wrong from a religious perspective) he doesn’t bother to tell us in what denomination he’s achieved this distinction. Who ordained you, Bill?

Update: We spoke too soon in writing above in 1999 : summer, 2000 finds Bill lecturing about ‘ new world order ‘ conspiracies and Biblical prophecy. In his book on Wicca, he told us how Satan was using UFOs to unite with earthlings but he’s failed to provide scientific (or any other kind of) proof of that: just his opinions. We wonder if he’ll tire of that in another few years when it’s less ‘in vogue’ and give lectures on how flying saucer supporters are evil too….

If only we knew: March, 2002 found Bill with yet another money-making activity: a video titled “Israel, Islam, and Biochemical/Nuclear Terrorism” In a breathless announcement from ‘Director’ David Bay (who’ll happily sell you a copy for just $24.95) we’re told that we’ll “Learn thoroughly about nuclear and biochemical weapons: how terrorists use them, how to spot the first signs of attack, and how to protect your family. Learn about the three kinds of nuclear terrorist weapons: backpack dirty, backpack clean, and airburst.” Now nothing we’ve seen in Bill’s many and varied biographies indicates that he knows anything whatsoever about weapons of any kind or that he’s ever had any training and/or experience in any field that would give him even the most casual tangential exposure to such knowledge. (He was never in the military even – or if he was, he’s conveniently forgotten to mention it.) Needless to say, lack of subject expertise has never yet stopped Bill from trying to profit from a gullible public. Mr. Bay assures us that Bill “… speaks from the unique perspective of a former Black Magick Wizard.” – life experience which undoubtedly provides some very unique insights on how to identify nuclear devices and terrorists, providing far better information than any government ever could!

And in 2007 he’s figured out that he was also a vampire. It can’t get any funnier than this! (See bottom of the page.) In 2014, he’s still on the stump garnering speaking fees and dodging questions from all but the most gullible and adoring.

So let’s take a few minutes to explore some of the contradictions and spurious claims of Mr. (Reverend?) Schnoebelen and see some of the discrepancies which cast severe doubt on the credibility of his claims.

Bill’s Strange Life

On page 12 of his book, “Masonry Beyond the Light”, Schnoebelen tells the story with great passion: reading a Jack Chick comic book, he finds Jesus. (“However, between the [Masonic] meeting and my arrival at the [Masonic] luncheon, I had made an extraordinary transition from one kingdom to another. God had moved upon my life in a miraculous way. Through a remarkable series of events I had knelt at my bedside holding a crumpled Chick tract in my trembling fingers. That tract told me that all I had to do to be acceptable in Jesus’ sight was ask Him to forgive my sins and be my Lord and Savior.”). According to the biography one finds on his web site, this occurred in 1984.

From his web site, we also learn that he claims to have received a Masters in Theological Studies degree from St. Francis School of Pastoral Ministry – ostensibly a Catholic College in Milwaukee – in 1980 during the time he was apparently not ‘saved’. (On page 15 of his book, Schnoebelen claims “This was a time of considerable spiritual searching for me. I had been saved by Jesus while a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), known as the Mormons.” <emphasis added>) Ironic, isn’t it?

What’s more, during the time he claims to have been a “witch”, he was attending Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa which bills itself as “The premier Catholic Liberal Arts College”.

It gets more confusing, though:

Schnoebelen says on page 17 of his book “My own background in occultism, witchcraft and even satanism prior to joining the Mormon church <emphasis added> had provided me with a comprehensive knowledge of occult and esoteric (hidden, high-level) Masonry and ceremonial magik.”

Putting aside the dates for a moment, one must wonder: if Bill had learned these supposedly horrid things about Freemasonry, why did he then LATER decide to BECOME A MEMBER ?

Is it possible he deliberately lied when he was asked if he was joining Masonry for “mercenary motives”….?

Did he WANT to be a ‘bad boy’ despite having been “saved by Jesus”?

Ah, the contradictions swirl. However, if he’d lie about that, what ELSE is he lying about?

The dates indicate that Schnoebelen – who left Masonry in 1984, had been a Mormon for 5 years (ostensibly 1979-84 since – as shown above – he was a Mormon when he was ‘saved’). Curiously, this was during a time he was receiving a Masters in Theological Studies degree (if his claims are true) from St. Francis School of Pastoral Ministry (1980).

We think it quite odd that an individual receiving a graduate college degree in a field which would, of necessity, touch on various world religions (and, we suspect, on Freemasonry as well) would be SO confused that he couldn’t discern the supposed evil in the both the religion he was then choosing and the Masonic organization of which at that time he was a member? Ostensibly Schnoebelen was a Mason for 8 or 9 years – depending on which of his references you use and thus was a Mason in 1980 (1984 when he was ‘saved’ minus 8 or 9 years means he joined in 1975 or 1976. His theological degree was in 1980. )

What Is Critical Race Theory?

The origins of critical race theory can be traced to a group of legal scholars in the 1980s. Many of them were from Harvard University most were scholars of color. They argued that legal institutions are intertwined with politics and white supremacy.

“Law constructed race,” write the authors of Critical Race Theory: Essential Writings That Formed the Movement. “Racial power, in our view, was not simply—or even primarily—a product of biased decision-making on the part of judges, but instead, the sum total of the pervasive ways in which law shapes and is shaped by ‘race relations’ across the social plane.”

University of Louisville Pan-African Studies Professor Kalasia Ojeh told WFPL critical race theory frames race as “part of the everyday fabric of life.”

“And when we begin to understand that, we can see how race isn’t something that is … inherent, essential, biological—but it’s something that is socially constructed,” she said.

“It’s a critique of systemic racism,” University of Kentucky history professor Nikki Brown said. She said she was speaking personally and not on behalf of her department or university.

“What it tries to do is say that racism exists and racism is maintained as a structure beyond what people do and think individually.”


19th century Edit

Harvard College's first season of baseball came in 1865 the team went 6–0 that year. It played one intercollegiate game (against Williams) and five against semi-professional teams. Organized baseball at the college had begun a few years earlier, when "class nines" (the teams of each of Harvard College's four class years) were first fielded the first of these was the '66 Baseball Club, formed in 1862 by members of that year's freshman class. Despite these early years of competition, 1865 was the school's first varsity intercollegiate season. [2] [3] [4]

Along with rowing, baseball was popular at Harvard in the late 19th century. [5] A newspaper review of the 1871 book Four Years at Yale says that the book includes "interesting accounts of the sports common in colleges, especially baseball and rowing, and the principal matches which have taken place between Harvard and Yale." [6] An 1884 edition of the Washington Bee reprinted a Lowell Courier humor section piece that reads, "Sixty Harvard freshman have dropped their Latin, eighty their Greek and 100 their mathematics. None of them have dropped their baseball or their boating, however, and college culture is still safe." [7]

In a game against a semi-professional team from Lynn on April 12, 1877, Harvard catcher Jim Tyng became the first baseball player to use a catcher's mask. The mask was invented by another student, Frederick Thayer, and manufactured by a Cambridge tinsmith. Tyng later became the first Harvard player to appear in Major League Baseball when he played in a September 23, 1879, game for the Boston Red Caps. [8] [9] [10]

In the 1870s and 1880s, Harvard was a member of two loosely organized forerunners of the Ivy League. The Intercollegiate Base Ball Association, which it played in from 1879 to 1886, included Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, and Amherst. The College Baseball League, which it played in from 1887 to 1889, featured Yale, Princeton, and Columbia. [10] [11]

The school continued to field a varsity baseball team through the end of the 19th century. It played both fall and spring regular season games in its early years, but moved to a spring-only schedule after the 1885–1886 season. The program's highest 19th-century win total was 34, a mark it reached in both 1870 (34–9–1) and 1892 (34–5). [3] Through the end of the 1899 season, the program played without a head coach and was instead led by its captains. [12]

Two important changes to the program occurred near the end of the 19th century– at the start of the 1898 season, Harvard began playing home games at Soldier's Field, and at the start of the 1900 season, it hired E. H. Nichols as its first head coach. [12] [13]

Pre-World War II Edit

The program went .500 or better in 15 of the 17 seasons from 1900 to 1916. Its highest win total in that stretch, 23, came in 1915 under head coach Percy Haughton. Two head coaches served four-season tenures during the time period. L. P. Pieper coached from 1907 to 1910 the program's two losing records in this time period came under him. Frank Sexton also coached for four seasons (1911–1914) the program had a winning record in each. [3] [12] [14]

In the early 20th century, Harvard held tryouts, usually in the spring, [15] to select the members of the team from the student body. [16] To start the regular season, the team often traveled to the Southern United States to play games in warm weather, a practice that began in 1898. [10] [17] Up until the start of World War I, its scheduled included professional and semi-professional teams, in addition to collegiate teams. [3] [18]

Hall of Fame pitcher Cy Young, then a member of the Boston Americans, served as the team's pitching coach for a brief time in 1902. Another future Hall of Famer, Willie Keeler of the Brooklyn Superbas, served alongside Young as the team's hitting coach. [19] [20] [21] [22]

William Clarence Matthews was Harvard's shortstop from 1902 to 1905. Matthews was black. A handful of black students graduated from Harvard around that time (its first black graduate, Richard Theodore Greener, was a member of the class of 1870), but Matthews one of only a few black players in major college athletics during an era in which baseball was divided by the color line. Harvard went 75–18 during Matthews's career. As a freshman, he scored the winning run in Harvard's 6–5 win in the decisive game of the Yale series he also led the team in batting average as a sophomore, junior, and senior. Matthews faced racial discrimination while a member of the team. During his freshman season, he was held out of games against Navy and Virginia due to their objections to Harvard's fielding a black player. In 1903, the following year, Harvard canceled its annual southern trip when it faced similar objections. After Harvard, Matthews played one season of professional baseball and went on to a career in law. The trophy given to the Ivy League's baseball champion is named for Matthews. He was inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2014. [23] [24] [25] [26] [27]

The 1917 season was canceled because of World War I, but the program resumed play in 1918. [3] [28] Through the 1932 season, the program competed as an independent school. For the 1933 season, however, Harvard joined the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League (EIBL), which had been formed by several Ivy League schools for the start of the 1930 season. [3] [29] [30]

Prior to the start of the 1929 season, Fred Mitchell was hired for his third stint as Harvard head baseball coach (he also led the program during the 1916 and 1926 seasons). [12] [31] [32] Mitchell's third stint lasted from 1929 to 1938– Harvard's final four seasons as an independent and first six in the EIBL. Under Mitchell, Harvard won its first EIBL title with an 8–4 league record in 1936, it tied Dartmouth for the championship. [3] [29] Mitchell resigned following the 1938 season and was replaced by Floyd Stahl. [33] [34] In Stahl's first season, Harvard won its second EIBL title, finishing with a 9–3 league record. [29]

Because of World War II, Harvard competed as an independent in 1943 and 1946 and did not sponsor a team in 1944 or 1945. [12]

Post-World War II Edit


Harvard rejoined the EIBL for the 1947 season. For the 1948 season, Brown joined the seven other Ivy League schools in the league Army and Navy also joined, giving the league 10 members. [29] In the immediate postwar years, under head coaches Adolph Samborski (1947–1948) and Stuffy McInnis (1949–1954), the program finished no higher than 4th in the EIBL. [12]

Norman Shepard became the program's head coach for the start of the 1955 season. Under Shepard, Harvard won four EIBL titles (1955, 1958, 1964, 1968), going undefeated in league play in 1958 and 1964. [12] [29] In 1968, Shepard's final season, the team qualified for its first NCAA Tournament. In order for Harvard to play in the tournament, Shepard threatened to speed up his retirement if the NCAA did not reschedule the District 1 Regional to avoid a conflict with Harvard's final exams. [35] His threat succeeded, and Harvard won the rescheduled District 1 Regional, defeating Boston University once and Connecticut twice to advance to the College World Series. There, it lost its opening game to St. John's, 2–0, and an elimination game to Southern Illinois, 2–1. [36]

Loyal Park was hired as head coach prior to the start of the 1969 season. [37] After finishing tied for 5th and tied for 2nd in the EIBL in his first two seasons, the program had its most successful four-year stretch from 1971 to 1974. [29] Harvard won four consecutive EIBL titles and played in three College World Series. In 1971, Harvard won the EIBL outright and swept Massachusetts in a best-of-three District 1 Regional. In the College World Series, Harvard defeated BYU, 4–1, in its opening game, but was eliminated by consecutive one-run losses to Tulsa and Texas–Pan American. In 1972, Harvard tied Cornell for the EIBL title, but won a playoff to advance to that year's NCAA tournament. There, it advanced to the District 1 Regional finals, but lost to Connecticut, 11–2. [29] [36] In 1973, the program won the EIBL outright and went undefeated in the District 1 Regional to advance to the College World Series. [29] [36] There, it lost consecutive games to Southern California and Georgia Southern. [38] In 1974, Harvard defeated Princeton in an EIBL tiebreaker playoff and won the District 1 Regional, but lost consecutive games to Miami and Northern Colorado at the 1974 College World Series. [29] [36] [39] Park coached through the end of the 1978 season, in which Harvard won the EIBL and played in the NCAA tournament. [29] [36]

Alex Nahigian replaced Park and was the program's head coach from 1979 to 1990. Nahigian had been the head coach at Providence from 1960 to 1978. [40] [41] Under Nahigian, Harvard appeared in three NCAA tournaments (1980, 1983, 1984). In both 1980 and 1983, it advanced to the Northeast Regional final, but lost there to St. John's in 1980 and Maine in 1983. [36] During Nahigian's 12-year tenure, Harvard's overall record was 249–152–3. [12]

During the successful years under Shepard, Park, and Nahigian, many Crimson players distinguished themselves individually. The era from 1955–1990 saw 17 First-Team All-America selections and 31 Major League Baseball Draft selections. Paul del Rossi, a pitcher under Shepard from 1962 to 1964, set the EIBL/Ivy career record for wins, with 30. Future Major Leaguer Mike Stenhouse, who played for Park and Nahigian from 1977 to 1979, set single-season and career EIBL/Ivy batting average records, was twice named a First-Team All-American, and was a first-round draft pick of the Oakland Athletics in 1979. Another future Major Leaguer, Jeff Musselman, was the 1985 EIBL Pitcher of the Year. [29] [42] [43] [44]

Ivy League Edit

During the tenure of Leigh Hogan (1991–1995), the EIBL folded, and the Ivy League began sponsoring baseball. Several northeast schools had formed the Patriot League in 1986, and the two non-Ivy members of the EIBL, Army and Navy, had joined the league in other sports– Army in 1990–1991 and Navy in 1991–1992. Both schools' baseball programs played their last seasons in the EIBL in 1992. [45] Beginning with the 1993 season, the Ivy League sponsored baseball. Its eight teams competed in two four-team divisions: Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, and Brown in the Rolfe Division, and Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, and Penn in the Gehrig Division. The division winners met in a best-of-three championship series to decide the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. [29]

Hogan resigned following the 1995 season after coaching the program for its first three Ivy League seasons, and Suffolk head coach Joe Walsh was hired to replace him. Starting with Walsh, Harvard made its head baseball coaching position a full-time position. [46]

In Walsh's first season, 1996, Harvard won the Rolfe Division, finishing three games ahead of second-place Yale, but was swept by Princeton in the best-of-three Ivy League Championship Series. Harvard then made three consecutive NCAA tournaments, after last having qualified in 1984. It defeated Princeton in the championship series in each season. As the sixth seed in the 1997 NCAA tournament, it placed third in the six-team, double-elimination Midwest Regional. After defeating first-seeded UCLA, 7–2, and fourth-seeded Stetson, 8–6, to open the regional, it lost consecutive games to host Oklahoma State and UCLA and was eliminated. As the fifth seed in the 1998 NCAA tournament, it again finished third in its regional. After losing its opening game to second-seeded Cal State Fullerton, it won elimination games against Nicholls State and Tulane before being eliminated by Fullerton. In the 1999 tournament, the first year of four-team regionals, Harvard lost consecutive games to Pepperdine and VCU. [29] [36] [47]

Harvard won four more Rolfe Division titles in the early 2000s, thus appearing in four Ivy League Championship Series (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006). It won the 2002 series (over Princeton) [48] and 2005 series (over Cornell) to advance to two NCAA tournaments. It went 0–2 in both. In the late 2000s and early 2010s, the program struggled, winning no Rolfe Division titles and finishing last in the division in 2008, 2011, and 2014. [29] [36] [49]

On July 31, 2012, Walsh died of a heart attack in his Chester, New Hampshire home. He was 58 years old and had coached the program for 17 seasons, appearing in five NCAA tournaments. [50] Beginning in 2014, the NEIBA All-Star Game was named for Walsh. [51] In September 2012, the school hired Bill Decker to replace Walsh. Decker came from Division III Trinity (CT), where he had been the head coach for 22 seasons and won the 2008 National Championship. [52]

Prior to the 2013 season, several players were implicated in an academic cheating scandal and were forced to withdraw from Harvard. [53] The 2013 team's record was 10–31 (7–13 Ivy) it finished third in the Rolfe Division. [54]

Conference affiliations Edit

Early venues Edit

In its first few decades, the team played at several venues around Cambridge and Boston. Besides occasionally using sites on Cambridge Common or Boston Common, the school had regular venues on campus. It spent its first two seasons (1865–1866) playing at the Delta, where Memorial Hall currently stands. From 1867 to 1883, the team's main venue was Jarvis Field, which Harvard also used for football at the time. From 1884 to 1897, the baseball team used Holmes Field, which also doubled as one of Harvard's early football venues. [10] [13]

Soldier's Field / Joseph J. O'Donnell Field Edit

In 1890, Major Henry Lee Higginson donated a parcel of land on the Allston-Brighton side of the Charles River for Harvard's use. Higginson dedicated the site Soldier's Field, for six of his friends who had died fighting in the Civil War. For the start of the 1898 season, the baseball program moved to the site and shared the venue with the football and track and field teams. The venue's first game came on April 27, 1898. Harvard defeated Dartmouth, 13–7. [10] [13] [55]

On May 4, 1997, the stadium was rededicated for Joseph J. O'Donnell, a Harvard alumnus, donor, and former baseball and football player. The venue has a capacity of 1,600 spectators. [13]

From the program's inception at the start of the 1865 season through the end of the 1899 season, the program did not have a head coach and was instead led by its captains. In the 1900 season, E. H. Nichols became the program's first head coach. Frank Sexton, who held the position from 1911–1914, was the team's first professional coach. The position became a full-time position beginning with the 1996 season, thanks to a $2.5 million endowment from program alumnus Joseph O'Donnell. [12] [13] [56]

In the early years of the position, men commonly held it for only one season. (Prior to the 1930s, the position was held for a single season 11 times.) Since then, however, five men have coached the team for at least a decade: Fred Mitchell, Norman Shepard, Loyal Park, Alex Nahigian, and Joe Walsh. [12] Walsh, who was the program's head coach for 17 seasons (1996–2012), served the longest tenure of any coach in program history and is also its wins leader, with 347. [12] [57]

Tenure(s) Coach Seasons W-L-T Pct
1865–1899 None 35 582–307–10 .653
1900–1901, 1905 [a] E. H. Nichols 3 53–13–1 .799
1902 A. V. Galbraith 1 21–3 .875
1903 Barrett Wendell 1 19–5 .792
1904 O. G. Frantz 1 17–5 .773
1905 [a] T. F. Murphy 1 19–5–1 .780
1906 P. N. Coburn 1 12–12 .500
1907–1910 L. P. Pieper 4 47–36–2 .565
1911–1914 Frank Sexton 4 64–32–2 .663
1915 Percy Haughton 1 23–7 .767
1916, 1926, 1929–1938 Fred Mitchell 12 183–124–5 .595
1918–1919 Hugh Duffy 2 8–21 .276
1920–1924 Jack Slattery 5 75–53–2 .585
1925 Eddie Mahan 1 9–14 .391
1927 Henry Chauncey 1 25–6–1 .797
1928 John Barbee 1 18–10 .643
1939–1943, 1946 Floyd Stahl 6 54–69 .439
1947–1948 Adolph Samborski 2 24–24–1 .500
1949–1954 Stuffy McInnis 6 47–64–1 .424
1955–1968 Norman Shepard 14 218–107–4 .669
1969–1978 Loyal Park 10 248–93 .727
1979–1990 Alex Nahigian 12 249–152–3 .620
1991–1995 Leigh Hogan 5 82–101–1 .448
1996–2012 Joe Walsh 17 347–388–2 .471
2013–present Bill Decker 5 73–131 .358
TOTALS 24 151 2497-1777-35 [54] [58] [59] .579

Current coaching staff Edit

Harvard's coaching staff for the 2019 Season consisted of head coach Bill Decker and assistant coaches Bryan Stark, Brady Kirkpatrick, Kyle Decker and Morgan Brown.

Bill Decker Edit

Bill Decker has been the program's head coach since the start of the 2013 season. A 1984 graduate of Ithaca College, Decker's coaching career began with assistant positions at Division III schools Wesleyan (CT) and Macalester. After these, he was named the head coach at Trinity (CT) for the start of the 1991 season. Decker spent 22 seasons at Trinity, compiling a 529–231 record. He was named New England Coach of the Year and NESCAC Coach of the Year four times each. Under him, Trinity appeared in nine NCAA Tournaments and won five NESCAC Tournament titles. In the 2008 season, the team nearly went undefeated, in the end finishing at 45–1 and winning the Division III National Championship. [60] [61] [62] [63] [64]

Assistant coaches Edit

Bryan Stark joined the Harvard baseball team as an assistant coach in the fall of 2014 after two seasons at Navy in the same capacity. Stark was promoted to Associate Head Coach in the summer of 2019. In 2019, Stark was a member of the staff that coached the Crimson to its first Ivy League title and NCAA appearance since 2005. Seven members of the team earned Ivy League honors, including Jake Suddelson, who was named Ivy League Player of the Year. Stark and the Harvard staff were instrumental in helping two of its players, Patrick McColl and Hunter Bigge, become MLB draft selections. In his fourth season with the Crimson, Stark accompanied a successful Harvard team to a Beanpot Championship title—its first since 2014 and fifth in program history — and its most wins since 2005 with a 22–20 overall record. Harvard tied for third in the conference with a record of 12–9, with contribution from seven All-Ivy players and four NEIBA All-New England selections. In 2018, Stark was a part of the coaching staff that helped Noah Zavolas and Simon Rosenblum-Larson become 2018 MLB Draft picks for the Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay Rays, respectively. In addition, the team was recognized for the NCAA Academic Progress Rate Public Recognition Award, with 21 players recognized by the ECAC for academic accomplishments. In 2016, Stark helped Harvard to their most successful season since 2010, going 17–24 overall, and 9–11 in Ivy League play. Under his mentorship, John Fallon and Matt Rothenberg emerged as dangerous threats in the Harvard lineup. In his first season at Harvard, he played a key role in helping the team to an 18–24 record in the 2015 season, giving the program its most wins since 2007. [65]

Brady Kirkpatrick was added to the Harvard baseball staff in July 2018. Kirkpatrick will primarily work with the pitching staff and comes to Cambridge after a two-year stint at Monmouth University, with prior coaching and recruiting experience at the University of Rochester and the University of San Diego. In his first season with the Crimson, Kirkpatrick helped guide the team to its first Ivy League Championship and NCAA Tournament appearance since 2005. Kirkpatrick served as the team's pitching coach, helping the team to 27 victories, the most since 2005. One of his players, Hunter Bigge, earned All-Ivy League honors after holding opponents to a .254 average and striking out 76 batters in 74.2 innings pitched. After the season, Bigge was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 12th round of the MLB Draft. Kirkpatrick was also instrumental in helping Kieran Shaw break the Crimson saves record in 2019. Shaw totaled 13 saves, most in the Ivy League and tied for 11th in the NCAA. While at Monmouth, Kirkpatrick helped lead the Hawks to a MAAC regular season title in 2018 and coached Dan Klepchick to MAAC Rookie of the Year as well as a Collegiate Baseball News Freshman All-America recognition. Prior to his coaching career, Kirkpatrick pitched collegiately for three seasons at the University of Maryland before completing his career at the University of San Diego while obtaining his master's degree. With the Terrapins, Kirkpatrick started 11 games as a junior and held opponents to a .256 batting average, third on the team, after pitching to a 3.04 ERA as a sophomore. In total, he tossed 169 innings as a Terp, striking out 122. He was part of the 2014 South Carolina Regional championship team as well as the first Super Regional Team in Maryland history. He spent the summer of 2012 pitching for the Brewster Whitecaps in the Cape Cod Summer League, throwing to a 3.51 ERA.

The following is a table of the program's yearly records. From its inception at the start of the 1865 season through the end of the 1899 season, the teams had no head coaches and were instead led by captains. The university did not sponsor a program in 1917, because of World War I, or from 1944–1945, because of World War II. [12] [29] [59]

National champion Postseason invitational champion
Conference regular season champion Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
Division regular season champion Division regular season and conference tournament champion
Conference tournament champion

What Decker family records will you find?

There are 278,000 census records available for the last name Decker. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Decker census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 24,000 immigration records available for the last name Decker. Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure.

There are 61,000 military records available for the last name Decker. For the veterans among your Decker ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.

There are 278,000 census records available for the last name Decker. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Decker census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 24,000 immigration records available for the last name Decker. Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure.

There are 61,000 military records available for the last name Decker. For the veterans among your Decker ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.

Decker Family Trees, Crests, Genealogies, Biographies, DNA, and More

Additional Results from Linkpendium's Family Discoverer Search Engine

Linkpendium matches 1 - 10 (out of about 17438 total matching pages):

Message Boards
. Message Boards Message Boards > Surnames > Decker Message Boards Search for content in message .

. DeckerJourney welcome to . the Decker Journey mark of Jan Broersen Decker Home Unable to display .

This search took 3 milliseconds.

Linkpendium's goal is to index every genealogy, geneology, :) family history, family tree, surname, vital records, biography, or otherwise genealogically-related site on the Internet. PLEASE HELP! When you find a useful new resource, go to the right Linkpendium page and click on the "Add your favorite Website(s) to this page" link. Thanks from all of us at Linkpendium!

© Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved
Last Updated Wednesday, 14 April 2021, 11:30am Pacific

Decker of Pennsylvania (PA) Biography

Lycoming county has among its citizens many men of more than average intelligence and ability, who are doing a great work for its improvement and advancement. Prominent among these is William Decker, of Montgomery, sole proprietor of the Montgomery Table Works, manufacturer of extension tables, desks, tabourets, etc., also president of several leading enterprises. He was born October 15, 1861, in Clinton township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, a son of Henry and Mary (Herr) Decker.

He resided on the paternal farm until eighteen years of age, in the meantime attending the Pine street school (district school), completing his course of instruction there at the age of fourteen years. He then located in Montgomery, Pennsylvania, and there, through his own energy and perseverance, learned the trade of carpenter, becoming a thorough and expert workman. The following ten years he successfully conducted a contracting and building business, and in 1888, in company with C. W. Fehr and H. M. Weller, organized the Montgomery Table Works. At the expiration of one year Messrs. Weller and Decker purchased the interest of Mr. Fehr, and in 1903 Mr. Decker purchased Mr. Weller's interest in the business and has since conducted the same on his own account. The first year's output of the plant being $10,00o, has increased from year to year, until the present time (1905) it is over $200,000, this wonderful increase being attributable to the energy, ambition and perseverance displayed by Mr. Decker in the management thereof. In the fall of 1905 Mr. Decker intends to remove his plant to his new brick building, which is now in course of construction, two stories in height and more than twice the floor space of his old factory, and which will have a capacity for $400,000 of business per year. The factory is the largest in -Montgomery, and is equipped with a three hundred horsepower steam plant and the most modern and latest improved machinery, such as is not surpassed by any other company in his line in Lycoming county, and also gives constant employment to a large number of people, thus making it the leading enterprise in Montgomery. This was the only plant that ran ten hours per day during the panic of 1893, and Mr. Decker enjoys the proud distinction of never having missed a pay day in his works. The principle which he has carried out throughout his active business career has been to please the old customer as well as the new one, and by strictly adhering to this rule he has secured a foremost place among the business men of the county, and is in possession of a handsome competence.

Mr. Decker is president and the largest stockholder of the Montgomery Electric Light & Power Company, which was organized in 1896, at which time he was elected to this responsible position. Montgomery was the only town in Pennsylvania of its size that had electric lights, this fact attesting to the aggressive and progressive spirit of its prominent citizens. He is also president of the Montgomery Furniture Company, which was incorporated during the year 1905 with a capital stock of $30,o00, and of the H. Hughs Store Company, which is conducting a department store, the largest establishment of its kind in Montgomery. He is vice-president and general manager of the Penn Furniture Manufacturing Company, which gives employment to seventy-five men, and vice-president and a leading director of the First National Bank of Montgomery, which institution was organized chiefly through his instrumentality, he being chairman of the organization committee. Although not yet in the prime of life, Mr. Decker is undoubtedly the most prominent and influential citizen in Montgomery, is regarded highly by all who have the honor of his acquaintance, and takes a very live interest in public affairs, especially along the lines of religion and education. He is a director of the Susquehanna University, and was recently chosen secretary and treasurer of the County Sunday School Association, a very prominent factor in the religious life of the county, and has continually held official positions in the Evangelical Lutheran church, of which lie has been a member since the age of eighteen. Mr. Decker, being of a very unassuming and retiring disposition, claims that his success is partly due to the characteristics inherited from his father, and to the influence of his wife, who has been a worthy helpmate in every sense of the word.

Mr. Decker married, September 27, 1894, Adaline U. Bubb, of Fredericksburg, Virginia, who was born near Montoursville, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Thomas L. and Sarah (Scott) Bubb, and of this union five children were born : Vivian Bubb, Bernice Virginia, Sterling Randolph, William Thomas and Maxinea Inez. Mrs. Decker being formerly a Methodist, has since marriage joined the Evangelical Lutheran church. Mr. Decker is a Republican in politics and has adhered strongly to the principles of that party since the silver campaign, although all the other members of the Decker family are strong adherents of the Democratic party.

Source: Genealogical and Personal History of Lycoming County, John W. Jordan, Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1906.

Decker Genealogy Resources

    Decker in a metasearch of the oldest largest free genealogy site.

History comes alive

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Dr. Sara Pangburn Kime, portrayed by Teresa Naughton, talks about the tuberculosis sanatorium she and her husband, Dr. John Kime, operated in Fort Dodge. Much of the building still stands and is now part of Wraywood Manor.

Dr.Thomas Fitzhugh Grayson limped onto a Fort Dodge stage Sunday afternoon and promptly took a big swig of his “medicine.”

Then he turned his attention to those who had gathered to see him and announced, “What a good looking group. I always said that Fort Dodge had the nicest looking women, except for maybe Virginia.”

Grayson himself did not actually speak those words Sunday afternoon, since he died in 1903. But his essence was brought to life for one afternoon by Garrett Savery, who portrayed the Confederate Civil War veteran who became a Fort Dodge doctor during the 18th annual Oakland Cemetery Walk.

Grayson was one of eight medical professionals, including three women physicians, now buried in Oakland Cemetery, whose life stories were told by costumed actors.

The walk was established by the late Jerry and Marva Rowe, two historians of the cemetery on North 15th Street who wanted to educate the public about the historic people buried there.

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Dr. John McNulty, portrayed by Randy Hoover, gestures with his walking stick during Sunday afternoon's Oakland Cemetery Walk. During the event at Decker Auditorium at Iowa Central Community College, actors portrayed historical figures buried in Oakland Cemetery.

Some of the earliest walks were held at the cemetery, but more recent ones, including Sunday’s version, have been held at Decker Auditorium at Iowa Central Community College.

These are the historical figures who were introduced Sunday:

• Dr. Sara Pangburn Kime, portrayed by Teresa Naughton.

• Dr. Allie Hoyt Wakeman, portrayed by Stephanie Coble-Day.

• Dr. John McNulty, portrayed by Randy Hoover.

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Dr. Harley Greenwood Ristine, portrayed by Sean O'Connor, talks about his medical career during Sunday's 18th annual Oakland Cemetery Walk.

• Dr. Mary Eleanor Kenyon McCall, portrayed by Ruth Bennett.

• Dr. Harley Greenwood Ristine, portrayed by Sean O’Connor.

• Dr. Richard Clyde Sebern, portrayed by Rick Carle.

• Amanda Cook Pettingell Hastings, portrayed by Kristin Teske.

• Dr. Thomas F. Grayson, portrayed by Garrett Savery.

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Dr. Thomas Fitzhugh Grayson, portrayed by Garrett Savery, has a big dose of his "medicine'' prior to speaking to those in attendance at the 18th annual Oakland Cemetery Walk Sunday afternoon at Decker Auditorium at Iowa Central Community College.

Dr. Sara Pangburn Kime

She was born in Fayette in 1858. She attended Upper Iowa College and became a teacher. She later was a school superintendent before going to Iowa State University to earn a medical degree.

She started her medical career in Atlantic, then became the physician for women at the State Hospital for the Insane in Independence. After marrying Dr. John Kime, she moved to Fort Dodge.

In Fort Dodge they operated the Boulder Lodge Sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. That building still exists and is a portion of the Wraywood Manor.

Dr. Allie Hoyt Wakeman

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Garrett Savery, portraying Dr. Thomas Fitzhugh Grayson, speaks during the 18th annual Oakland Cemetery Walk Sunday at Decker Auditorium at Iowa Central Community College.

She was born in 1874 and earned her medical degree at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.

After driving to California when automobiles were in their infancy, she completed her medical training at the University of California and was a resident physician there for two years.

She was especially interested in improving the care of women and babies during childbirth. During her career of more than 40 years, she never had a mother or baby die during childbirth.

She became one of the early residents of Friendship Haven before her death in 1951.

Dr. John McNulty

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
Amanda Cook Pettingell Hastings, portrayed by Kristin Teske, talks about her work as a nurse for Union Army during the Civil War. Her presentation was part of the 18th annual Oakland Cemetery Walk Sunday.

McNulty was apparently born in 1825, but no records show where he was born.

He went to California in 1850 just as the gold rush was tapering off. He then went to Nicaragua and Cuba before returning to the United States.

McNulty earned a medical degree from New York University. Soon after he graduated, the Civil War broke out and he became a surgeon for the 37th New York Volunteers.

“I watched more young men die than I care to think about,” he said Sunday.

Injuries he suffered when he fell off a horse ended his military career.

Because his family owned property in Fort Dodge, he moved there. In Fort Dodge, he led efforts to establish a hospital.

He died in 1899 at age 75. In his will he specified that he be buried with his head pointing north.

“I wanted my head to the north where the good, smart people were,” he said.

Dr. Mary Eleanor Kenyon McCall

She was born in Marcellus, New York, in 1843. Her father was a physician who specialized in treating cancer. She joined him in that specialty.

She lived in Ohio and California before coming to Iowa. She lived in Des Moines, Duncombe and later Fort Dodge.

Testimonials describing her effective cures for cancers have been found, but what medicines or therapies she was using apparently remain unknown.

Dr. Harley Greenwood Ristine

He served in the 86th Indiana Volunteers during the Civil War and was wounded in one leg. After the war, he earned a medical degree at Rush Medical College in Chicago.

After coming to Iowa, he was an expert witness in a high profile murder trial.

He came to Fort Dodge in 1871.

In 1893, he led relief efforts when a tornado flattened Pomeroy.

Dr. Richard Clyde Sebern

Sebern practiced medicine in Odebolt. He later moved to Fort Dodge, where he went into practice as an ear, nose and throat specialist. He worked from a clinic on North 10th Street.

Dr. Thomas Fitzhugh Grayson

Grayson, born in 1840, was enrolled in the University of Virginia Medical School when the Civil War started. He left school and joined the Army of Northern Virginia.

“I was against slavery,” he said. “ I was actually an abolitionist.”

He said he joined the Confederate Army because he was opposed to the federal government telling Virginia what to do.

He was captured by Union troops during one of the first battles of the war at Bull Run, Virginia. He was taken to a camp in Washington, D.C., but was released after he promised in writing not to fight for the Confederacy for at least a year and a half. The Union, he said, apparently thought the war would be over in that time.

Grayson went back to Virginia and worked for the Confederate treasury.

After the war, he finished his medical training at the University of Pennsylvania. He moved to Fort Dodge to join his brother.

In Fort Dodge, he became a traveling physician who treated residents of the rural areas.

Amanda Cook Pettingell Hastings

She was born in New York and lived in Pennsylvania and Illinois.

She joined the Women’s Soldiers Aid Society and served as a nurse during the Civil War. She served the Union Army during the battles of Shiloh and Stones River.

She moved to Fort Dodge after the war and died in 1900.

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
The cast of the 18th annual Oakland Cemetery Walk poses at the conclusion of the event Sunday at Decker Auditorium at Iowa Central Community College. From left are Randy Hoover, Garrett Savery, Sean O'Connor, Kristin Teske, Stephanie Coble-Day, Teresa Naughton and Ruth Bennett.

Bill Decker's list: Five iconic Louisiana brand-name products

The largest family-owned coffee brand in the United States was founded in 1919 by Henry Norman Saurage of Baton Rouge. In 1924, Saurage turned his barn into a coffee mill. H. Norman Jr. bought the company's first coffee roaster in 1941 to give the company more quality control. Beginning in 1995, the company opened a chain of CC's Community Coffee Houses.

Brothers Will and Louis Begnaud, who worked for the Grimmer Coffee Co., put all their savings into their own brand, Mello Joy, in 1936. Mello Joy remained a top-selling brand from the 1940s until the 1970s, when a regional brand bought the Mello Joy brand. Soon the Mello Joy name was phased out. The company was resurrected in Lafayette under the majority ownership of Wayne Elmore.

Founded in 1919, the Evangeline Maid name is now part of Flowers Foods of Thomasville, Ga. The Evangeline Maid bakery in Lafayette, marked by the familiar sign featuring the spinning loaf of bread, told KLFY recently that 165 employees turn out half a million loaves of Evangeline Maid bread each week.

The company website cites a family tradition saying that Edmund McIlhenny of Avery Island developed the famous pepper sauce in the 1860s, using Capsicum frutescens peppers he'd been given as a gift. The first bottles of Tabasco were sold in small bottles with a filament in the neck (so the sauce would be sprinkled, not poured) and sealed with green wax. The first bottles sold for $1.

Tony Chachere of Opelousas died at age 89 in 1995. But he lived to see his company's name become recognizable all over the country. Chachere was a traveling drug salesman in the 1930s, sometimes whipping up his own concoctions like "Bon Soir bug repellant." Later he became a successful insurance agent. In 1972, he wrote his "Cajun Country Cookbook," the response to which encouraged him to found Tony Chachere's Creole Foods in Opelousas.

Watch the video: Vic and Bob: Tubby Brewster Geordie Striker (August 2022).